Dr Jonathan Herald is a Strathfield Private-based orthopaedic surgeon who is at the forefront of orthopaedic innovation in Australia and specialises in shoulder, knee and elbow conditions as well as all-limb Work Cover orthopaedic injuries.
Dr Herald has 20 years’ surgical experience and has treated and worked with some of Australia’s highest-profile athletes in the fields of swimming, soccer, NRL, Rugby and cricket.
A passionate advocate of physiotherapy, (both his parents were physiotherapists), Dr Herald uses the Neer Protocol, an expedited return-to-sport after surgery program.
In 2018, Herald was a medical commentator in the Australian Financial Review, discussing the new age of patient-centric medicine and he is widely published in medical journals around the world.
Dr Herald welcomes patients to his rooms at Strathfield Private and offers Urgent Appointments with a call from your GP or physio, as well as No Gap surgery for privately covered pensioners.
Conditions and Treatments
- ACL Reconstruction
- Arthritis of the elbow, shoulder and knee
- Cartilage Resurfacing
- Elbow dislocation
- Elbow surgery UCL transposition
- Fractures (emergency appointments)
- Knee replacement
- Meniscal Repair
- Nerve Entrapment
- Patellar Tears and Instability
- Rotator Cuff Injury
- Runner’s Knee
- Shin Splints
- Shoulder Replacement
- Shoulder tears, instability
- Sports Injuries
- Swimmer’s Shoulder
- Tennis Elbow
- Throwing Injuries
- Work Cover injuries (All limbs)
Background, Qualifications & Education
Born: November 14, 1971
1989 Graduated Sydney Technical High School
1996 University of Sydney, Bachelor of Medicine (Surgery)
2000 University of NSW, Masters of Sports Medicine
2006 Sports Medicine and Knee Surgery Fellowships, Sydney
2006 Further trained in shoulder surgery at Mt Sinai School of Medicine New York
2007 Further Trained in elbow surgery with Professor Shawn O’Driscoll at The Mayo Clinic
2008 Examiner Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
2014 Guest reviewer (orthopaedic) for the British Medical Journal
2017 Guest editor for The Asian Journal of Arthroscopy in 2017
May 2018, The Land - New surgical treatment for previously irreparable rotator cuff tears with a rotator shoulder cuff patch.
February 2018, The Australian Financial Review – Digital Savvy Consumers Driving Changes in Treatment Methods
September 2017, Fairfax Essential Kids - Why This Surgeon is Teaching Kids to Catch a Ball (with Olympic Gold-Medal winning Rugby Sevens Player Emma Tonegato.
April 2015, Television show Damage Control, narrated by Actor Russell Crowe– Dr Herald discusses the repair of collarbone on cricket all-rounder Corinne Hall.
February 21, 2014, Daily Telegraph Sydney, Smartphones are everywhere…but adverse health effects are growing
March 13, 2013 YouTube, (146,000 views) Dr Jonathan Herald demonstrating the accelerated ACL reconstruction rehabilitation program with Rugby Union Centre Adam Ashley-Cooper.
- Dr Herald performed knee surgery on Flyhalf Tayler Adams who returned to season within four weeks of injury in 2016. In 2017, Adams went on to win one of Rugby’s most prestigious accolades, the Ken Catchpole Medal
- In July 2018, one of Dr Herald’s patients Johnny Campos appeared on the Channel 7 television series Dance Boss as a competitor – following ACL surgery.
- Dr Herald has surgically treated a number of elite athletes, swimmers and Olympians and demonstrated the post-op NEER technique with former Australian Rugby Union Centre Adam Ashley Cooper.
- Dr Herald also appeared with Olympic Rugby Sevens Gold Medallist Emma Tonegato in a series of videos educating children about avoiding orthopaedic injuries in sport.
- In April 2015, Dr Herald appeared in a television show Damage Control, narrated by Actor Russell Crowe, where he discussed the successful surgical repair of collarbone on cricket all-rounder Corinne Hall. He has also treated Olympic Kayaker Dianne Chellew.