Elective Surgery Resumes In Sydney’s Inner West
May 29, 2020
Surgeons at Strathfield Private Hospital have resumed some non-urgent elective surgeries in line with the Governments easing of restrictions and are now working through the backlog of cases delayed as a result of COVID-19.
One of the hospital’s first patients was Revesby retired plumber, Peter Parker, who needed a bi-lateral knee replacement. Mr Parker, 64, had been in pain and restricted in movement before finally having surgery last week. “I needed the joints in both my knees replaced from many years of playing football when I was younger and from a career of crawling on my knees under houses as a plumber,” he said.
“My surgery was booked for April 1 but it was cancelled when the COVID-19 restrictions. I’m just grateful I’ve finally had the operation and I can look forward to getting around a bit easier now.”
Mr Parker’s doctor, orthopaedic surgeon Dr Daniel Rahme had not operated for nearly two months before restarting urgent cases at Strathfield Private Hospital.
“Normally I would do five or six surgeries every week,” Dr Rahme said. “I haven’t done any since the COVID-19 shutdown, so it’s great to start back and give some relief to those patients who have been struggling with their conditions for longer than they expected to.”
Strathfield Private Hospital CEO Sally Cameron said it had been difficult for many patients to have to postpone surgery and a relief that some of the COVID-19 restrictions had now been eased although some procedures are still not allowed, and there remains restrictions on a number of operations.
“We have not resumed our full surgical roster as yet, but we are allowing some elective surgery in line with the Government guidelines and taking into consideration the safety of patients, our employees and health care professionals,” she said.
Ms Cameron said the decision to conduct surgery was a clinical one, and Strathfield Private Hospital was working with surgeons to determine the condition of the patient, the risk of the procedure, available stocks of personal protective equipment (PPE) and the capacity constraints imposed by the government.
“We are very much looking forward to getting back to work and re-opening operating theatres but the safety and protection of our staff and patients will remain our number one priority,” she said.