Additional details regarding the hospital are available in the Patient Information Guide.
Preparing for Your Admission
- Fill in the online admission form, or complete the Booking/Consent form & Patient Health Questionnaire form that you would have received from your doctor, as soon as possible and send it back to the hospital.
Please have the following ready when you fill in your admission form:
- Personal/Next of Kin details
- Medicare Card
- Funding details (eg DVA, Private health insurance, WorkCover or self-funding)
- Benefit details/Entitlements (eg pharmacy benefit card or pension card, healthcare card, concessional pharmacy card, safety net card)
- Item numbers if these were quoted by doctors’ rooms
- If applicable Information your doctor supplied to you re implantable medical devices (eg prosthetic and disposables).
- If you have any concerns please telephone 02 97457444 between 9am – 5pm or send an email to onlinepreadmission.SPH@ramsayhealth.com.au
If you have any medication queries, please contact your doctor.
Confirm your private health insurance status with your health fund.
The hospital customer service team will contact you between 3-5pm on the day prior to your admission to confirm arrival and fasting times. Patients being admitted on a Monday will be contacted over the weekend.
What to Bring
It is important to ensure that you have the following items available on admission:
- Any letter(s) from your doctor relating to your procedure
- Please bring with you appropriate X-rays, scans and medical reports.
- All medications that you are currently taking or a list of your current medications and how often you take them (your GP can assist you with this).
- Your Medicare Card and Pension/Entitlement Cards
- Your health fund details or Veterans’ Affairs Entitlement Card.
- If you are having day surgery, please wear loose, comfortable and appropriate clothing.
- If you are staying overnight, please bring personal items such as night attire, dressing gown, slippers and personal toiletries.
- Please do not bring valuables to the hospital.
Recommendations & Considerations
- IMPORTANT: For your safety, the Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists (ANZCA) guidelines state that you must have someone to stay with you overnight for at least 24 hours post an anaesthetic and that you have someone (18+) pick you up from the Hospital when you are ready for discharge.
- Do NOT drive a car or operate machinery for 24 hours after an anaesthetic as you will not be covered by insurance.
- Do NOT eat or drink (this includes water) AFTER MIDNIGHT or AFTER 6AM for afternoon surgery unless your Doctor gives you other instructions.
- Do NOT smoke at least 12 hours before your operation and do NOT chew gum or lollies on the day of your surgery.
- Do NOT shave the operation area.
- Do NOT wear makeup or nail polish
- Do NOT wear excessive jewellery (wedding ring permitted).
- Do NOT bring any valuables like jewellery or large amounts of money to the Hospital.
- Please shower the morning of your surgery with antibacterial body wash (available in most supermarkets).
- Wear warm and comfortable clothing. You will be provided with a gown to wear for your procedure.
- Ramsay Health Care and Strathfield Private Hospital DO NOT accept liability for any personal property brought into the Hospital.